Why I Don't Pay Attention to Advanced Stats

Apparently baseball writer Bill James has devised some sort of thing called a "game score metric" that helps us gain a better understanding of a dominating pitching performance.  To give you an idea of how the Game Score Metric works.... well, I'm not going to take the time to explain it.  Click on this link if you really want to know what it is before going forward; however, this should tell you all you need to know - Tim Lincecum's 2-hit, 14K shutout of the Atlanta Braves in Game 1 of their NLDS scored higher than Roy Halladay's 1 BB, no-hitter the day before.  That's right, once again, we see how strikeouts are overvalued by some people.  An out is an out, and it doesn't matter if it is a weak grounder to the pitcher, a strikeout, or a fly ball to the left fielder.  Guess what, they are still outs.

For this reason, I propose that we abandon the new ways of thinking when it comes to baseball stats (also known as sabremetrics).  I know how to calculate batting average and on-base percentage.  I know how to count RBIs and HRs.  I don't know, or care to know, what VORP or WAR mean.  You tell me that a fielder's UZR is better than another's, and I might mistakenly punch you for fear that you are speaking to me about hockey in Russian, and I don't need that kind of pressure from a Commie ice skater!

No comments:

Post a Comment