Downward Spiral Continues

The Chicago Cubs continued their quest to ensure Lou Piniella doesn't return for another season in Wrigleyville.  Carlos Zambrano, having already set the record for the most expensive non-closer in bullpen history, decided to take it another step today... by yelling and almost getting into a fight with 1B Derek Lee in the dugout... in the 1st inning.

In the second round match-up of underachieving teams, Big Z allowed 4 runs in the first inning to the White Sox.  Zambrano is known to be a bit of a hot-head and for some reason felt like it was his responsibility to remind everyone of that particular character trait.

Inside sources say the conversation went like this:
Lee: Hey, Carlos! Tough first inning, but don't worry, we'll get them back.
Big Z: What was that, man?
Lee: I said don't worry.  We've got your back, Z.  We're just glad you're starting again.
Big Z: Oh so you think I suck, momma's boy?
Lee: Wait, what?
Big Z: You heard me.  You and your sissy little first base.  I will drill you in the head next time we face if you keep disrespecting me.
Lee: Are you nuts?
Big Z: Oh, so now I'm crazy?
Piniella: Holy crap, boys!  What the heck is going on here?
Big Z: Pretty boy here was talking smack to me, and I'm gonna punch him in the face!
Lee: Whoa, wait a minute!  I was trying to encourage you.
Big Z: Why don't you shut up and start hitting those 6-run dingers again, fool!  Or did you forget that I'm the only one that can go yard on this team.
Piniella: All right that's enough! Carlos, hit the showers!
Big Z: What?!? You want to see me in the shower?  You sick, freak!
Piniella (on phone to bullpen): Get somebody warming up, Z's lost it again.
Bullpen phone: He was due.
Piniella: I can't wait until they fire me.  First Milton, now this.  I'm getting too old for this...

No comments:

Post a Comment